Education Connection USA-SA 2017
South Africa – Summer 2017
USA Educators MV Tour to South Africa
Scroll down for the tour itinerary and more information
Are you an educator passionate about service learning, leadership,and holistic well-being? Do you love to travel and to meet educators from different parts of the world?
Then this is an excellent opportunity for you!
Join us in the experience of a lifetime collaborating with educators and students in South Africa on our Mission Vision Summer 2017 Education Connection Experience.
An initiative started by Lauren Williams
You will Engage
- In significant conversations and relations as you establish connections with South African educators and students
- Co-teaching and class observations with a teacher in a South African school (on your grade level) for five days.
- Your own students in collaborative interactions with students abroad
- In service-learning projects that cultivate leadership
- South African educators, students and parents in the area of social justice as you take part in a Holistic Well-Being Initiative in schools in Franschhoek
“This collaborative exchange forms part of the Holistic Well-Being Initiative which is not only focused on individual well-being in all domains of development. It also encompasses relational well-being across all levels of interaction as well as collective well-being. This is understood as the advancement of social justice as a basis for facilitating an enabling school environment” – Dr. Ansie Kitching (Northwest University)
You will experience
- Five days of connecting and co-teaching with South African educators as you become part of their school community
- Soweto, home of Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu
- Mongena Game Farm (game drives)
- Apartheid Museum, Johannesburg
- Robben Island
- District Six Museum
- Table Mountain
- Cape Point Nature Reserve (Cape of Good Hope) and the Penguin Colony
When? July 27, 2017 – August 9, 2017
Where? Cape Town and Johannesburg
Who? Any educator, education student or support professional in grades PreK-12
- Welcome to all the educators! We are excited to help you create a once in a lifetime learning and sharing experience in South Africa.
- Dates: July 27th, 2017 until August 9th, 2017
- Price: $3,500 total. The price includes the following: all airfares (to SA return and domestic in SA); all accommodation, all the meals (excluding the one’s indicated on the itinerary); all the entrance fees; all transportation and the relevant tips.
- You have to pay for your own transportation to New York (JFK) and back, your own medical and life insurance and make provision for your own spending money ($250 USD will go a long way in SA!).
- The size of the group: we aim at 20 persons but will go through with the trip if we get 10 people who are interested.
- Payment Schedule: (1) November 30, 2016 – $1,000 deposit (2) January 31, 2017 – $1,000 (3) March 30, 2017 – $1,000 (4) .June 30, 2017 – $500
- As soon as you have registered for the MV Tour we will send you all the payment information.
- Contact me, Deon Kitching at email@example.com or cell phone number+27 (0)82 5524 082.
- Visit our Facebook page and keep up to date with latest Mission Vison Tour news – https://www.facebook.com/MissionVisionToursZa/
- Keep a close eye on the Facebook page of Holistic School Well-being Initiatives SA project, before you come on the trip, as you will be hosted by the schools involved in the research project.
- Browse our website missionvisiontours.com for general information about South Africa.
Sunset from Signal Hill, Cape Town
Leave USA Thurs 27 July 2017
Leave New York JFK in the morning at 11:15
Arrive SA – Johannesburg Fri 28 July 2017 – Day 1
Arrive OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at 08:05 / Orientation and short sightseeing trip of Johannesburg / Soweto Tour and Experience with Queen Malefane (local tour guide) / Lunch in Soweto at Robbie’s Restaurant / Depart for Mongena Game Farm / Supper: Game Farm / Overnight Mongena Game Farm / ( lunch and supper included)
Pretoria Sat 29 July 2017 – Day 2
Breakfast: Mongena Game Farm / Mongena Game Farm: Morning Game Drive / Bush Walk / Lunch – Mongena Game Farm / African Drumming Experience / Afternoon Game Drive / Supper – Boma BBQ / Overnight Mongena Game Lodge / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Johannesburg – Cape Town Sun 30 July 2017 – Day 3
Breakfast Mongena Game Lodge / Visit the Apartheids Museum in Johannesburg / Lunch at the airport (for your own account) / Fly to Cape Town (approx 15:00) / Supper: Paarl / Orientation – school contexts and project schools / Overnight Guest House Paarl/Wellington / (breakfast and supper included)
Wellington/Franschhoek Mon 31 July 2017 – Day 4
Orientation and start of the project at central venue / School placements and project work (2 x teachers per school) / Introductions and orientation at local school / Follow day program / Afternoon visit to Le Bonheur wine farm and crocodile ranch (after school) / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Wellington/Franschhoek Tues 1 Aug 2017 – Day 5
Drop off at different schools / Follow day program / Afternoon visits Drakenstein Prison where Nelson Mandela stayed for the last nine years of his life and the place where he was released in 1990 (after school) / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Wellington/Franschhoek Wed 2 Aug 2017 – Day 6
Drop off at different schools / Follow day program / Afternoon: Group discussions and feedback with whole group / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Wellington/Franschhoek Thurs 3 Aug 2017 – Day 7
Drop off at different schools / Follow day program / Afternoon: Group discussions and feedback / Wrap up of the project / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Wellington/Franschhoek Fri 4 Aug 2017 – Day 8
Drop off at different schools / Last day at the school / Afternoon: Sightseeing of Paarl and surrounding – wine and cheese tastings (after school) / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Wellington/Cape Town Sat 5 Aug 2017 – Day 9
Visit District Six Museum, where the forced removals under the apartheid regime took place in the sixties / Conversation with Noor Abrahams, one of the residents of early District 6. Listen to his stories (this is storytelling!); relaxed and filled with District Six colloquialisms and jokes while relating a personal experience of apartheid and forced removals / Presentation and conversation with Mary Burton from the T R C and Black Sash / Leave for the Nelson Mandela pier to Robben Island – Cape Town V&A Waterfront / Boat ride to Robben Island, Guided Tour of the island by an ex-prisoner, visit the museums / Debriefing with Michelle Boonzaaier / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Cape Town Sun 6 Aug 2017 – Day 10
Spend an unforgettable time on top of Table Mountain / Lunch: en route – for your own account – in Simon’s Town / Visit the Penguins at the Boulders, Simon’s Town / Swim in the Indian Ocean / Vist the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, the most south western point of Africa / Stop at an African Craft Market to shop for African curios / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast, lunch, and supper included)
Cape Town Mon 7 Aug 2017 – Day 11
Day free – explore the Cape Town and surrounding areas on your own / Transport into Cape Town / Visit Cape Town on your own – hop on hop off buses / Lunch and Supper (for your own account) / Overnight Guest House Wellington / (breakfast included)
Cape Town Tues 8 Aug 2017 – Day 12
Morning visits the Green Market Square African Market / Lunch / Drop off at the airport / Fly out to Johannesburg en route to the USA – JFK, New York (breakfast and lunch included)